Saturday, August 9, 2008

The work begins



Last night I took a number of pictures to show where various fittings belong. I then took off the side decks as they were soft in spots. Those decks came off in big enough pieces that I can use them for templates when I cut the new plywood. Inside the side buoyancy tanks the wood was still firm, but signs of mildew and spiders everywhere! The portside tank's end panel was rotted through, and it was easy to take all that out too. The center thwart was also soft at the ends, so that was removed too. I think I will next take off the front deck and replace it with new wood too. That will give me access to the area beneath for refinishing. Another decision is to leave the existing floor and sides of the side tanks. Seems like far too big a task to rip all those panels out when both the floor and the sides sound firm. When putting it all back together, I will do what I can to ensure those tanks stay dry and allow good ventilation when the boat is out of the water.

No comments: