Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Painting and repainting



Another long gap between reports.
I have had a very frustrating time with the paints on the hull. Once I had finished scraping the old paints off, I filled a bunch of holes with epoxy and added a strip of fiberglass tape to the bottom chines. Once that was setting, I coated the entire hull with epoxy and let it cure for a few days. Extra filler was needed to fair the strips of tape.
I chose to add a coat of Zinsser paint as further protection before adding a sealer/primer from Benjamin Moore. The final coats looked glorious! I gave each of the coats lots of time to cure. When I went to reinstall the brass rub strips to the keel, I found the paint fairly slid off the hull! The paint guru was not much help, suggesting it just needs more time to cure. A week later, I was again at the hull with a scraper taking everything back to the epoxy. What a heartbreak!
I think the Benjamin Moore primer did not like the Zinsser for some reason.
Once the hull was stripped and again lightly sanded, I started the process again, this time skipping the 'Z' paint and using just the primer over the epoxy. As the weather is getting cooler, it is taking longer to cure, but finally those coats could not be scratched off with my fingernail.
Yesterday I applied the first coat of Benjamin Moore's latex exterior paint. Today it is still able to be scratched, so I am leaving it to tomorrow to see if it is cured enough to get a second coat. If it remains soft, I shall try the oil exterior paint in the same colour.

No comments: