Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rigging and steering

While I was dealing with the frustrations of the paints, I was able to work on the standing rigging and the rudder as well as the center-board.
The center-board was the biggest job as the old one had suffered enough to warrant replacement. I cut many strips of fir and glued them together making a board 2'x5' and about an inch thick. Took me a few hours to plane and sand it back to the right shape and thickness. That was taken to the band saw and the shape of the board cut out. Once the edges were covered in protective fiberglass cloth, that was sanded, faired and it is now ready for painting.
I had to buy new cables to make up the diamond-shaped support for the mast and was happy to locate a shop in town that made them up quickly and for a most inexpensive price! I was so impressed with their service, I had a new head stay made up too. I only hope my math was correct in determining the length! I found that the gooseneck was missing the post that slides inside the boom. Instead of buying a whole new part, I shaped a piece of aluminum rod and drilled it to hold a bolt. That rod now holds the boom securely! I felt such a rush when that worked out so well!
Duckworks in Texas was the best source for new rudder pintles. They have arrived and are waiting for the rudder to be stripped and repainted too.
In another week or so, the boat should be back upright and sitting on a trailer. Then I can fill the gaps in the decking and install hardware. Looking forward!

No comments: